Those who experience bleeding gums during routine brushing and flossing may be experiencing an early warning sign of gum disease.
These warnings signs are giving you a sign that you are experiencing the beginning stages of gum disease, also known as gingivitis. When gingivitis is ignored, then it can quickly progress into periodontitis, which is a much more severe form of gum disease. The effects of periodontitis are not reversible and can result is gum recession and even tooth loss. So, at the first sign on bleeding gums, come in for a visit and practice the below procedures to help prevent gingivitis on your own.
What Can I Do To Prevent Bleeding Gums and Gingivitis
- Brush At Least Twice Per Day
- Brushing after meals will help remove food debris and plaque trapped between your teeth and gums. Don’t forget to include your tongue, as bacteria will form there as well.
- Floss After Brushing
- Flossing at least once a day helps remove food particles and plaque between teeth and along the gum line that your toothbrush can’t quite reach.
- Use Mouthwash
- Using mouthwash can help reduce plaque and remove the remaining food particles that brushing and flossing missed.
- Eliminate Bad Habits
- Tobacco products are not only horrible for your body, but they increase the chances of gum disease and cancer in your mouth and throat. If you are thinking about using tobacco products, you may want to consider quitting. If you are currently using tobacco products, come in for a visit to discuss your options.
Schedule A Consultation
To learn more about bleeding gums and how to treat gum disease, visit our team at the Montclair Plaza Dental Group in Montclair, CA. We can work with you to address your dental concerns and restore health to your smile. To schedule an appointment, call 909-281-3624 or request an appointment online.