TMJ Treatment An Overview
TMJ is a condition that affects the health and function of the temporomandibular joint (jaw joint). Temporomandibular Disorder (TMD) can cause stress to the jaw joint causing an imbalance or misalignment in the bite. If TMJ is left untreated, patients may continue to experience uncomfortable and sometimes painful symptoms that may be affecting their quality of life. TMJ is a complex dental concern that should be handled with care and experience.
TMJ symptoms differ greatly from patient to patient. TMJ symptoms often mask themselves or are similar to those of other medical conditions, making diagnosis particularly difficult. Because of this, it is important to seek medical help if you think you may be suffering from a TMJ disorder.
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms associated with TMD, contact our Montclair Plaza dental office.
Common Symptoms of TMJ:
- Frequent headaches (especially in the morning)
- Popping or clicking in the jaw
- Difficulty or pain when chewing
- Jaw pain or discomfort
- Chronic fatigue
- Numbness or tingling in the hands, face, or neck
- Ringing in the ears
- Bruxism (teeth grinding)
- Face, neck, shoulder, and upper back pain
TMJ symptoms can worsen over time. Finding the appropriate treatment can bring forth some much-needed relief. The goal is to create a personalized solution to eliminate painful symptoms, correct any damage and prevent further dental issues associated with TMJ.
TMJ Treatment What to Expect
We offer a full range of TMJ treatments in our Montclair Plaza dental facility.
To determine which treatment will work for you, Dr. Srikureja will first need to conduct a thorough and comprehensive evaluation of all aspects of your occlusal system. Treating TMJ will depend on the underlying cause for TMD. Although there is no one specific course of treatment for TMD, your Montclair Plaza dentist will perform a detailed bite analysis and oral health examination to determine the best course of treatment.
Treatment Options For TMJ:
- Restorative dentistry: We may recommend one or more restorative dentistry treatment to correct any tooth damage that may have resulted from your TMJ disorder and prevent further damage.
- Custom-designed mouthguard: A custom mouth guard or dental splint is often a conservative first step used early in treatment and not intended as a long term solution. It is a removable oral appliance that will gently reposition the jaw into proper alignment. Usually worn during sleep, and oral appliance may also prevent teeth grinding or clenching which can lead to tooth wear and contribute to tooth decay and gum disease. TMJ treatment through mouth guards, splints and night guards can help to alleviate the most common symptoms of TMJ dysfunction and prevent damage to the teeth and gums.
- Orthodontics: If crooked or misaligned teeth are the cause of your bite problem, orthodontic treatment can be an effective solution for realigning the bite and restoring oral health. We offer invisible braces for straightening your teeth and addressing TMJ symptoms.
Invisible braces, restorative dentistry, or an oral sleep appliance may help address any underlying causes of TMJ. Dr. Srikureja will work with you to create a personalized solution to restore health, function, and comfort to your teeth.